Orthodontics For Kids & Teens in Winnipeg
At Kids Dental, our orthodontic specialist, Dr. Billy Wiltshire, brings a wealth of experience and a long track record of success to diagnosing and correcting your child’s orthodontic problems. At Kids Dental, you can trust that your child will receive the highest quality of orthodontic care possible.
The Canadian Association of Orthodontists recommends that children get an orthodontic evaluation no later than age 7. Though orthodontic treatment can be done at any age, a child’s teeth are still in development and their jaw still growing, enabling certain orthodontic concerns to be more easily addressed now rather than later in life.
Orthodontics can not only help straighten your child’s teeth, giving then an appealing smile, but can greatly contribute to the health of their jaw, teeth and sometimes their overall health.
The Latest Technology
There have been many recent advancements in orthodontics, making wearing braces easier than ever before. State-of-the-art appliances and treatments are now available, from traditional metal braces, to clear and tooth colored brackets, to the very latest technology in orthodontic wires that are heat activated and require fewer adjustments! Some patients may even be candidates for treatment with Invisalign®, a revolutionary way to straighten teeth using clear, nearly invisible removable aligners requiring no braces or wires!
Early Orthodontic Treatment Can Help Correct:
- Breathing or swallowing problems
- Bite problems: crossbite, underbite, overbite
- Crowded, gapped, missing and extra teeth
- Disfiguring of the face & mouth
- Jaw & jaw joint pain
- Speech, chewing or biting problems
- Overall self-image
- The need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Finger or thumb sucking habits
Signs That Your Child Needs Orthodontic Treatment
- Early/late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing/biting food
- Crowded, blocked or misplaced teeth
- Sounds when opening/closing jaws
- Abnormal teeth grouping or separation
- Disproportionate jaws & teeth
- Crowded front teeth before age eight
Invisalign® Invisible Braces for Kids & Teens
Some patients may be candidates for treatment with Invisalign®, a revolutionary way to straighten teeth using clear, retainer type aligners that require no braces or wires!
- Unlike braces, aligners are removable, so it’s easy for your child to maintain good oral hygiene while their teeth are being straightened
- Because aligners are clear and virtually invisible, most people won’t even notice that your child is in treatment
- Clear aligners are used by thousands of orthodontists to treat a variety of teeth alignment issues, including crowding, spacing, open bite, overbite, and underbite
What Does Orthodontic Treatment Involve?
Orthodontic treatment involves three phases:
1. Planning Phase
Your child’s first couple of visits may include the following:
- A medical and dental history evaluation
- Castings or “molds” of your child’s teeth
- Computer generated photograph of the head and neck that will aid in planning
- Photographs of your child’s face and mouth
- X-rays of the teeth and jaws
After careful planning, your orthodontist will design and apply braces or fabricate custom-made appliances for your child.
2. Active Phase
Active treatment involves visiting your orthodontist on a regular basis for adjustments and following specific treatment requirements to ensure successful treatment.
3. Retention Phase
When treatment is completed, the braces and/or appliances are removed and a new appliance is made. Usually these retainers are removable and will maintain the changes made to your teeth if worn continuously until the teeth and bone are stabilized in their new positions.
Treatment and retention times vary depending on each individual case. Your orthodontist will ensure that your child has a successful treatment for a beautiful smile that can last a lifetime.