Your First Visit to Kids Dental
Welcome to Kids Dental, where our exceptional dentists and orthodontist provide dental care for children in a magical setting unlike any other in Winnipeg. Our friendly reception team will make your children feel at ease as soon as they walk though our door.
The First Visit is Free for Kids Under Three
For children under three, there is no cost for their first appointment. We recommend that your child make their first visit at 12 months of age. The goal is to have your child visit the dentist to prevent problems with their teeth.
What to Expect During Your Visit
The First Visit
The first visit is usually a short one. The main goal is to have a fun and easy visit with your child and to introduce them to our dental clinic and children’s play area.
During this visit our dental team will do the following:
- Cavity risk assessment
- Offer anticipatory guidance
- Examine your child’s teeth for decay
- Examine your child’s gums and soft tissue for disease or problems
- Evaluate the way your child’s teeth fit together, “the bite”
- Identify any potential problems or harmful habits
- Show you and your child how to properly clean his or her teeth at home
- Possibility of application of fluoride varnish
- Answer your questions or concerns
At age one, a lap-top exam is preferred. In the later years it would be best for the child to sit independently, as this enhances the communication between the dentist and the child. Our dentists are experts at handling all types of young patients in a friendly and understanding way.
We do not usually do a cleaning on your child’s first visit, since we want this visit to be as easy and fun as possible for your child. We may recommend a cleaning and fluoride application to remove plaque and tartar from teeth.
Preparing for Your First Visit
It is important to us, as it is to you and your child, that the first visit be a positive one.
A parent or legal guardian must accompany the child for this first visit, since this person will be asked to fill out medical and dental health forms. The parent should also bring a list of any medications the child may be taking and be prepared to discuss any behavioral or health issues. This information is important because it helps us to treat and manage your child in a safe and effective manner.
One of the best predictors of a child’s behavior in the dental chair is the parent’s level of anxiety. In most cases, if the parent is nervous, the child is going to feel the same way. Here are a few tips to help your child’s first dental visit go smoothly:
- Tell your child about the visit, but don’t go into details
- Let the dentist answer the questions about dental tools and procedures, since we have kid-friendly terms for all of our tools. We will explain things in a non-threatening, easy to understand manner
- Never tell your child that something may hurt
- Don’t tell your child about your own unpleasant experiences
- Try not to promise your child a reward for going to the dentist
- Remember that young children can be fearful. Some are afraid of being separated from their parents, others of the unknown, and some are just shy. We treat many children in our office and have many ways of helping an anxious or fearful child learn to understand and cope with their dental visits
- Explain to your child that the dentist is there to help them with the very important job of keeping their teeth and gums healthy
New Patient Form
By downloading, printing and completing our New Patient Form and bringing it with you to your first appointment, you will save significant time on your first visit.
We are a non-assignable clinic, which means that you will need to pay for your dental care at each appointment, but will be reimbursed directly if you have an insurance plan. We will do all of the paperwork on your behalf and submit it directly to your insurance company.
Payment is due at the time of appointment and we accept a wide range of payment options, including cash, cheque, debit and all major credit cards including Visa, MasterCard and AMEX.
Our Cancellation Policy
We require 24-hour notice for all appointment cancellations.
We are also pleased to offer dental financing through our partner, PayBright. This partnership allows us to offer affordable dental financing to our patients.
If you do not have private dental insurance coverage through your place of work, then here are four reasons to consider PayBright dental financing, which will help offset the cost of dental treatments:
Get an Instant Decision
Get our instant approval decision right away, displayed on screen along with the amount of funds available to you.
Begin Your Treatment
Proceed to your dentist to finalize your payment plan and begin your dental treatment without delay.
PayBright will pay the dentist directly. PayBright will set up convenient pre-authorized monthly or semi-monthly payments from your designated bank account.